Tuesday, 15 November 2016
7 Tips to Lower Your Blood Sugar Naturally
Are you feeling anxious or stressed out most of the time? Is your blood sugar level on the rise? Hormones such as cortisol and glucagon are secreted during times of stress which may cause blood sugar levels to go up and belly fat. That rush of glucose is no problem if your body’s insulin response mechanism is working properly; however, for people with metabolic issues such as diabetes, whose bodies can’t move glucose as efficiently into cells, it leads to a buildup of sugar in the bloodstream.
Studies have shown that relaxation can significantly reduce stress and lower blood sugar levels. Exercises and relaxation methods like yoga and mindfulness-based stress reduction can also correct insulin secretion problems in chronic diabetes. So have compiled 7 tips to help you relax - from meditation to music, these tips will give you more ways to calm your mind and reduce your A1c.
1. Meditate: Meditation is a way of calming the mind through techniques such as focusing and controlled breathing. This practice may reduce stress, lower your heart rate and relieve a variety of physical ailments. Recent research showed meditation can also help people with diabetes control their blood sugar levels. Check out some local classes or you can find many 'guided' meditations on the internet for beginners.
2. Yoga: Yoga is more than just holding a pose, it is learning to control your breathing and slow your heart rate down. There are many different type of yoga classes, however, all of them teach you to breath more deeply and to center yourself. Remembering that yoga it is not about how flexible you are but how focused you are. If you are not into holding poses then find a Yen class where you stay on the mat and doing poses that stretch out your body.
3. Quiet Time: We live in a world that is on the go and hiding in the bathroom with a magazine or book is not the same. Find time during your day to disconnect from your cell or laptop and the stimulation of noise. Pick a spot that is peaceful and just focus on being and if you can find somewhere to lay down and just close your eyes then even better. Even if you go for a walk by yourself for 10 - 30 minutes and look at things from far away and just focus on the miracle of life and of serenity without any electronics. This gives your brain a much-needed break.
4. Reading: There is nothing like escaping the real world with a good book and cool breeze, a blazing fireplace or at a cafe people watching. Whether it is science fiction or Oprah's latest book club selection, you deserve to use your imagination for a relaxing or exciting journey. Perhaps you want to read a magazine on the latest gadgets or fashion trend. Leaders are readers so being a sponge with something you have always wanted to learn more about could give you some excitement and something to look forward to.
5. Music and Aromatherapy: Thanks to technology and mobile music apps, we can travel the world with our favorite tunes or work out or clean to whatever genre we feel like. Notice how when you go the spa, the spa music and scent of spa triggers us to relax? You can find anything from smooth jazz to spa, baroque or classical remixes all have calming effects with healthful benefits. Keep the volume at a relaxing level and feel yourself start to relax. Aromatherapy has the ability to reduce anxiety, boost cognitive performance/energy, ease depression, speed up the healing process, eliminate headaches, induce sleep, strengthen the immune system, reduce pain, improve digestion, and increase circulation. Avoid relaxing music or scents that bring relaxation while your driving as you don't want to tune out on a busy highway.
6. Spend Time with Pets: The emotional connection with animal companions helps to decrease depression, stress, anger, anxiety. It can also lower your blood pressure, improve your immune system and possibly decrease your risk of heart attack and stroke. If you aren't into furry animal friends, then research shows people who spend their time watching fish tanks/aquariums enjoy the benefits of enhanced physical and mental well-being, improving your mood. And if you don't have a pet, your friend or neighbor would be happy for you to spend some time with their pet. All animals love to be loved by anyone and that is what will rub off on you - unconditional love.
7. Massage: If there is one complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) that improves the blood circulation and reduces the ill effects of diabetes such as hardening of the arteries it is massage therapy. Massage goes far beyond the feel good of the service and the temporary quietness of the experience; when you improve your bodies circulation, more oxygen and more nutrients are provided to the body cells and improves the utilization of insulin by the cells. Whether it's a 10-minute shoulder massage at a nail salon or an hour long Thai massage at the spa you will feel the difference in your mental and physical well-being. If you can hit up a massage then you can massage the joint in the middle of your thumb and index finger. This great to do if you are in a stressful environment to calm you down and gain some energy.
In order to keep balanced, one must take the time to relax and de-stress each and every day. The health benefits associated with regular relaxation are well-documented. There are many factors, however, stress has long been considered an important factor in Type 2 diabetes. It is only recently that research has demonstrated that stress may play a role in the onset of Type 2 diabetes in individuals predisposed to diabetes, and in blood glucose control in people with established diabetes. However, if you follow these simple stress management techniques and add Emulin+, it may have a significant impact on long-term blood glucose control and can constitute a useful tool in the management of diabetes.